Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Confession: I *Love* Mae West

Mary Jane (aka Mae) West was The Ultimate, early 20th-century BadAss. One of my (many) favorite quotes...



Apparently, she was born in Brooklyn, NY, into a family of Vaudevillians (and if you don't know what Vaudeville is... well, I have no words for you.) and prize-fighters. Pretty cool, huh?

She began her career as a child star in vaudeville, and later went on to write her own plays, including "SEX", for which she was arrested (for "corrupting the morals of youths").

According to the Net... "Though her first movie role was a small part in Night After Night (1932), her scene has become famous. A coat check girl exclaims, "Goodness! What lovely diamonds!", after seeing Mae's jewelry. Mae replies, 'Goodness had nothing to do with it'."

MEEEE-OOOOWW, Ms. West. You friggin' ROCK. I hope I'm still this cool, 30 years after I die.

xoxo,
Rebel Deb

No comments: