Monday, July 26, 2010

Ah, to Be Loved.... :)


monday, july 19, 2010

Considering that The Love List's subtitle reads "Southern living for the rebellious debutante," reading Anna Field's Confessions of a Rebel Debutante was imminent. I admit that I began the book with a touch of a bias, expecting it to be one of those self-important, "too cool for school" autobiographies. I was definitely off in my judgment. Sure, Anna tells her fair share of defiant tales, but the book left me wishing I was a little less inhibited and had a touch more of her courage and spunk. One of my favorite parts on the book was in the very beginning, when Anna listed life lessons learned by a local waitress. A few of them include:
  1. Be kind. Everyone you know is fighting her own silent battle.
  2. If you stop accepting "no" in life, you might start getting a different answer.
  3. You won't find any answers in a bar, but if you stay a while and drink enough, you might just forget the questions.
Overall, the book is a lighthearted, entertaining read, but watch out for a couple of crushing parts. (I won't spoil it here!) A perfect poolside companion, Confessions of a Rebel Debutante will leave you wishing you could have been Anna's partner in crime, shaking the pretentious world of Cotillion school and debutante balls with style. -Katie Diaz

No comments: